Keytops

Gilreath Gilreath@aol.com
Thu, 21 May 1998 21:25:54 EDT

Wim, Greg, et al,

A few thoughts.  I have found the PVC-E adhesive (which has been discussed on
the list before) to work exceptionally well for gluing on both ivory and sets
of conventional keytops.  It's easy to work with, doesn't "eat into" the
plastic tops, has good gap-filling properties and remains slightly flexible so
the top doesn't pop off of the key when subjected to climatic changes.

As to buffing, a standard buffer or bench grinder fitted with a buffing wheel
is way too fast for buffing plastic tops.  I haven't worked with the Vagias
tops but have had great results buffing other tops with white polishing
compound and a slow speed buffing wheel.

Let us know how it all looks when you get it going, Jim.

Allan

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
Calhoun, GA USA
Gilreath@aol.com

<< Willem,

 I think the problem is the solvents in the 3M spray adhesive. It is a lot
stronger
 chemically than rubber cement, and it will eat into the plastic although you
can
 still use naphtha to clean it when it is still fresh. I had a similar
experience.
 I don't believe it is the keytops themselves because when I used the latex
based
 adhesives I have never had this problem.

 And you can buff keytops if they are acrylic plastic. Only the white abs top
from
 Vagias can be buffed. The others (Vagias) are made of a softer plastic. The
molded
 tops from American Supply can also be buffed.
 It is handy to be able to buff a scratch out especially when you happen to
 accidentally scratch one when installing. JMHO

 Regards,
 Greg Torres