to master or not to master

Dmsaerts Dmsaerts@aol.com
Thu, 21 May 1998 14:24:58 EDT

Dear Susan,
The discussion is not about Europe versus USA nor where innovation takes
place.  But I am pleased to serve you with my opinion to this as well.
Innovations in the field of how to do faster indeed took place in the USA.
Innovations of how to do better didn't in comparison.  Exemptions are Falcone,
Mason & Hamlin,Walter, Fandrich and some tool makers do an Excellent job.  But
across both lakes on either side of the USA innovations take place in all of
the categories.  I agree with you that more emphasis is given to the quality
of the innovations.  Yamaha innovations win the race in most categories, but
credit is due to Kawai and Young Chang as well (Asia).  On the other side of
the USA innovations in all categories took place at Schimmel, Ibach, Seiler,
Grotrian Steinweg,Petrof, Steingraeber, Kemble, August Forster, Rameau,
Gaveau, Pleyel, Erard, Fazioli, Bosendorfer, Renner, Abel, Hermann Kluge,etc.
Even the Rippen piano with compete plastic action and the aluminum grand piano
was one of the most innovative in history. But it proved ones again that not
all innovations have an improving nature.(Europe) Steinway Hamburg carried the
Steinway fame trougout the world (Hamburg does the bulk of the export to the
rest of the world) by not changing the original design. (no Teflon, no half
rounds under the ballance) Only quality improvements to compete with the
quality competition that takes place in the European piano market. ( Polyester
finishes, large casters For the larger models) In the USA price competition is
the key word.
Part two: Your hesitation to conventionally repair an Aeolian spinet speaks
for it self.  I have never hesitated to go all the way in the repair of an old
European upright.  My statement about Band-Aids as hammer covering should not
be taken out of context.
Part tree: I guess you already visited the body shop.  Your articles are
normally very Bright.

Thanks for your input in the discussion.
Cyrillus Aerts