Keytops

Gregory Torres Tunapiana@adisfwb.com
Thu, 21 May 1998 11:08:23 -0700

Jim,

I have used these in the past. but only when the customer wants an alternative to
the regular white plastic (i.e. they want the ivory look).  The only one on the
sheet that could be buffed out (IMHO) is the glossy white which is acrylic (abs).
The other ones are a softer plastic material. Most of the time I use the molded
tops with fronts from American Supply.

As for glue, you can use regular contact cement or the "safety" contact cement by
Elmers which is a latex type base. I have used a product called Liquid Nails also
but NOT the brown flammable stuff-this is a white latex base in a squeeze tube and
it doesn't dry very fast so you can align the tops on the keys easier and it also
fills gouges and imperfections in the key (you know, like what happens when the
old top doesn't want to come off without a fight)  I am sure that there are other
glues that would probably work well also but these are my choices.

One other thing, if you do use the simulated ivory tops then you have to deal with
either gluing on fronts to match or cleaning the old ones and/or spraying them
with white or off-white lacquer.

NOTE: The simulated ivory tops from Vagias are somewhat translucent so the white
contact cement or liquid nails is my choice for those. And the key itself has also
got to be clean because any dark discoloration will show through the keytop
(simulated ivory ones).

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Greg Torres