Poll (Re: Master Piano Tuner)

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Wed, 20 May 1998 23:48:07 -0700

On Wed, 20 May, "Ralph Martin" <rmartinjr@email.msn.com> wrote:
>I would be very interested in a poll taken directly from this list,
>including the factory technicians that sometimes contribute information, to
>learn how the majority learned their craft. It could prove to be very
>revealing. I'll begin with myself and let others add their source(s) for
>learning.
>
>How about the rest of you folk?

During the last half of 1971, I spent occasional weekends with a friend
of my father's, a non-PTG piano tuner in Los Angeles area, learning the
rudiments of tuning and repair; practiced tuning on an old upright at
home.

In 1972, started tuning pianos on the side (until I found out the pins
were on the front! <g>). Began my business in Santa Cruz in '74,
becoming full time after about 4 years. Became technician for UCSC,
local community college and city schools by 1979. Doing multiple
classrooms/practice rooms was very useful for getting rid of
time-consuming bad habits.

In the early 80s, I was invited to CA State Convention (San Jose).
Joined PTG in '87, became RTT about 1 year later.

Looking back, this was really the hard way to learn anything. For 15
years, after the initial 6 months, I never talked to anyone about the
profession, never went to any schools or seminars, never read any books
about piano tuning. Every piano was an opportunity to learn something
new. I was very much The Lone Ranger and thought I could teach myself
every step of the way. I was very fortunate to never have gotten into
any expensive trouble.

The other dumb thing I did was to quit my day job on 1/1/72. I,
therefore, had to supplement my very meager piano tuning income by doing
auto repair, handyman jobs, carpentry - anything that I had a little
experience in, I'd do.

So, I've learned very well how not to become a piano technician. And,
thanks to PTG, I've learned from some very great technicians how to
improve my skills.
--
Thomas A. Cole RPT
Santa Cruz, CA