Pulsating string

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Thu, 21 May 1998 01:45:48 -0500

Arlie,

I once had an identical situation on a nice old Steinway D.  The string
"looked"
perfect but I ran my finger down the length of it and felt a very slight
kink in the speaking length.  I replaced the string and that was the end of
it.

chris

>At 09:29 PM 5/19/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>The client has a very nicely rebuilt 85-year-old Hazelton Bros. grand.  I
>>tuned it last fall and again recently.  She let me know a week later that
>>she was not satisfied with the tuning.  So I went back.
>>
>>The culprit was a pulse in the left string of the first unison immediately
>>above the bass/tenor break.  It developed that she really was satisfied
>>with the tuning, but she was hearing that pulse.  Apparently this problem
>>has been there before, but she thinks that last fall the pulse was gone
>>after I tuned the piano.
>>
>>The string is firmly against the bridge.  The other half of the string
>>which loops back to form the second string of the unison has a clear,
>>straight tone.
>>
>>Any suggestions as to the cause?  Any suggestions as to the solution?
>>
>>Is it possible that tuning the piano to A-441 might have eliminated the
>>pulse last fall?  Now it was tuned to A-440, both times per her
>>instructions.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.  I may not see the piano again until the end of summer.
>>
>>Arlie
>>
>>Arlie D. Rauch
>>Glendive, MT
>>
>>http://members.Tripod.com/~Turbooster
>>

>Roger Jolly
>Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.
>Saskatoon/Regina.
>Canada.

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (614) 593-1656    fax# (614) 593-1429