Master Piano Tuner

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Wed, 20 May 1998 20:00:52 -0700

Concerning how I got my skills, I started working for a local piano
store easing keys in new Samicks.  I eased thousands of keys before
being provided an SAT and started tuning with it.  At the same time, my
mentor, Bob Potter (no relation to Randy) tutored me in regulation of
uprights and grands.  Years later, I decided to learn to tune by ear.  I
enrolled in the Randy Potter course and joined the PTG, with the idea
that I would pass the RPT exams with the help of the course.  I passed
the exams a year ago.  Along the way, many of the local techs gave me
immense help and encouragement, mostly from the PTG members I know.  And
then I found this pianotech list- "Continuing Education"!  I will say
that without PTG I definitely would not be as competent  The RPT testing
procedure forced me to become more serious about upgrading my skills,
and I consider it the best education I have received since I began back
in 1988.
	Paul McCloud, (proud to be) RPT
	San Diego, CA