Pulsating string

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Wed, 20 May 1998 08:41:47 -0700 (MST)

Hi Arlie:

There are several things which can cause a "pulsating sound from a plain
steel string. They all have to do with contact points. The termination at
the bridge is the most usual location. You have stated that it is solid at
the bridge. A question may be asked, "Is the bridge pin solid?" "Does the
string groove on the bridge surface extend beyond or in front of the bridge
pin?" Those are the usual problems at that end. Sometimes an over sized
bridge pin will solve this problem.

Strings can have an insecure termination at the Agraffe or V-bar. The better
rebuilders replace the Agraffes during rebuilding to avoid that problem. But
problems can also exist due to irregular shape of the string. As a
string is pulled up and down thru the V-bar, a flat can be formed on the
string. Sometimes this flat may rotate slightly at its termination and cause
what sounds like "pulsating". The other cause of insecurity at the V-bar is
if the V-bar surface has a flat spot, where the string in motion bears upon
the front edge of the flat when it is up and it bears upon the back edge of
the flat when the string is in its downward excursion. Fixing the
termination surface is the obvious answer in this case. Replacing the string
is the other answer. Of course, any time you change a string, you bring in
the insecurity of tuning for several months.

The third place where problems of this nature can occur is along the
speaking length of the string. This can be a drop of glue on the string, or
contact of the string with the damper wire. A string moves in a vertically
oriented elliptical motion. This vertical motion can oscillate back and
forth over a few degrees range so that it might contact a damper wire only
two or three times a second. It is simple to check visually for any damper
wire contact, just move the damper head away from the string and see if
the "pulsating" stops. If so, you need to adjust the strings or the damper
wire. Also visually inspect for any foreign matter on the speaking length
of the string.

Jim Coleman, Sr.