More thoughts WAS Re: Master Piano Tuner

Jerry Hunt jhunt@geocities.com
Wed, 20 May 1998 09:58:26 -0500

David Porritt wrote:

> Greg:
>
> I think the issue with your customers who wanted a PTG member (RPT?) is their honest
> view that they didn't have the knowledge to determine your skill level.  If you have
> certain credentials, that substitutes for their inability to discern your
> skills....much like I look for "CPA" when I hunt for an accountant.  I just assume
> there is some competence there that I have no idea how to discover for myself.

<snip>
Okay, here's my 2 cents worth (which adjusted for inflation, is worth
next to nothing). I am a neophyte piano technician. I have, however,
been a CPA for 19 years - a designation of which I am proud because I
had to work very hard to obtain it and must continue to meet continuing
education requirements to keep it. I will be just as proud to wear the
RPT designation and know that it, too, will require a lot of hard work
and passing a grueling series of exams to obtain it.

There's a lot more I could say, but in the interest of saving bandwidth,
will finish with this: the value of any professional designation depends
on, among other things, (1) BEING professional, and (2) public
perception of being able to rely on that designation as indicative of
competence.

---
Jerry Hunt
Dallas, TX