pianotech-digest V1997 #789

DGPEAKE DGPEAKE@aol.com
Fri, 15 May 1998 22:35:10 EDT

<<
 I have often worked on old uprights where the last few hammers are into
 the wood.  I have replaced these hammers at times with new ones, but it
 is often difficult to voice them to the rest of the old ones.  Also,
 many people just cannot afford a new set of hammers and the necessary
 work to get the old piano up to par.

 When high treble hammers are into the wood, is there any way to use the
 felt still on the sides of the hammers to sort of recap the tops?  I
 have tryed this, but haven't been too sucessful.  Does anyone have any
 thoughts on this?  Thanks.

If it is the top 4 or 5 hammers, you can use buckskin.  File down the hammers
almost to the core, glue one side, let dry, then stretch over to the others,
glue and then clamp tight.  You can do some reshaping of the buckskin, but the
most effect is that you get restore some of the tone and save the customers
money until he or she can afford to have a new set of hammers installed.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR