********Van Cliburn collapses in concert

Fri, 15 May 1998 07:21:41 -0500

The following came over the harpsichord list, but I thought it would be
appropriate here.

>From: "James R. (Jay) McCarty, M.D." <jmccarty@nationwide.net>
>Subject:      ********Van Cliburn collapses in concert
>To: HPSCHD-L@CNSIBM.ALBANY.EDU
>
>I know this is off-topic, but I thought you all should know that last night
>Van Cliburn collapsed on stage here in Fort Worth while playing Rach 2.
>This was his fifth appearance in a week of celebrating the opening of our
>new concert hall.
>
>Van had a major memory lapse in the first movement, but covered it well and
>got through the slow movement without problems. In the middle of the 3rd
>movement he  omitted several bars in a solo section, played another two,
>then fell over unconscious. Those of us in the audience sat in shock while
>two friends of mine, a cardiologist and an internist, rushed to the stage
>to help. He was carried out on a stretcher and taken to a local hospital. I
>haven't been able to get any more information on his condition yet.
>
>Van is a great artist who also is one of the nicest people you could ever
>meet. I hope you all will join me in praying for his complete recovery.
>
>James R. (Jay) McCarty, M.D.
>Fort Worth, TX
>"Sine ars, scientia nihil est"

Conrad Hoffsommer		Office - (319) 387-1204
Luther College                         Music Dept Fax - (319) 387-1076
700 College Drive
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045             hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu

Oh wad some power the giftie gie us; to see oursel's as others see us!
It wad some monie a blunder free us, and foolish notion.
- Robert Burns