Rim Repair

Wed, 13 May 1998 19:58:32 -0700

Frank,

I have to go along with Roger. These rims are made of "Select Hardwood," not the strongest
or the toughest material known to mankind. You really should use a genuine hardwood plug
-- maple, birch, etc. -- to add strength to the area and to distribute the load so that
this doesn't just happen again. I'd probably recommend something a bit larger -- like 3/8"
or so -- though. Even if you don't have a plug cutter yourself, surely there is someone in
your local chapter who could make a few of them for you. For a suitable fee, of course. If
you really can't come up with maple plugs, then you can resort to regular dowels. These
should be available from your local hardware store. If you use dowels, remember to orient
the grain in the same direction as the laminates, i.e., parallel to the outside edge of
the rim. Also, even though I am a fan of epoxy, this is one type of repair that I'd
probably use Titebond II on.

Regards.

Del