Rim Repair

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Wed, 13 May 1998 22:24:31 -0400

Roger Jolly wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>           Tape the surrounding area with PVC electrical tape, and ensure
> that the tape is down tight with no air pockets, CA glue just will not
> stick to this type of tape, if the polyester finish is hair line cracked it
> will effect a fairly neat repair.  Use thin CA glue and clamp with two
> smooth hard wood blocks, leave for several hours to cure.
>   After repair is dried, drill out screw holes to accept 1/4" maple plug.
> Epoxy plugs in the holes with 5min epoxy. Screws will be stronger in a plug
> due to grain orientation, vs dowels.
> Hope this helps.
> Roger
>

> Roger Jolly
> Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.
> Saskatoon/Regina.
> Canada.

Thanks for the info.  Well I don't have any way to make plugs, like a
drill press with a plug attachment.

If I used hammer shanks to plug the hole, I understand the problem with
grain orientation.  Would it be a waste of time to do it this way?
Would I be inviting disaster?

A local tech suggested just plugging the holes with trimed down shank
wood and glue.  Then redrill after curing.

I could always use the next screw size up, but then I would need to
drill out hinge.

Thank you,
Frank