Young Chang Aftertouch

Mike Masters agraffes@worldnet.att.net
Wed, 13 May 1998 16:22:45 -0400

List,
I have a regulation problem/questions regarding a 6 year old Young Chang
G-157. Apparently a salesman from the dealer has put himself across as a
technician for the last 6 years and has been tooning the piano since it
was purchased. Has been having problems with "sticky keys" since day 1.
The customer called the dealer and was referred to me.

I can see where the problem lies but am not quite sure what the cause
(or than manufacturer mishap) or what may be the best way to properly
regulate. The problem has to do with insufficient aftertouch. Hammers
have no let-off, drop, or checking for that matter unless a sharp
blow(test-blow strength) is used. I think this is explained as the felt
punchings are compressing enough on the hard blows to allow let-off and
drop to occur. Hammers are blocking against the strings on soft blows no
feel of let-off or drop or aftertouch in keystroke.

Key height is good, key dip is sufficient (as far as factory specs and
geometry go) blow distance is about 47 mm(which is good) let off is
high, no drop, unless front rail punchings are removed which seems to
(in reference to sharp dip) be too much. I don't want to increase the
dip by as much as the action is asking for because the sharps will be at
the same height as the naturals when depressed.

Now my questions are what is the best approach to proper regulation?
Would decreasing the blow distance to allow more aftertouch be wise or
would increasing the key dip be better. Any suggestions or comments are
appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Mike Masters
Masters Piano Service