Emergency tool kit

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Tue, 12 May 1998 22:15:38 -0500

Dear Friends,

The following items may be helpful to have in your car trunk in your
emergency tool kit.

1.  A jack and tire iron
2.  A good spare tire
3.  A can of "Fix-A-Flat" to inflate a tire when you are miles from
civilization, or as an alternative, an air compressor or tank of compressed
air
4.  A tool box with a socket set, pliers and screwdrivers (or your standard
piano service tool box which is usually in the car already)
5.  Tools, plugging material, tire repair cement and other supplies for
doing repairs to plug a hole in a tire
6.  A blanket to spread out on the ground to keep your good clothes from
getting ruined as you are kneling down trying to struggle with the tire
7,  Baby wipes to clean the dirt and filth off of your hands
8.  Change for the telephone for the emergency call, or a calling card

This evening, lacking items #1 and #3, and having a flat #2, I proceeded to
use items #4, #5, and #6, to remove a 2 inch screw from my right rear car
tire and patch the hole.  Luckily, I was half a block from a service
station with an air hose to inflate the tire again after patching the tire.

Other items that might be good to include on the list

9.  A spare gallon can of gasoline or petrol
10.  Extra quarts of oil, and transmission fluid, a gallon of antifreeze,
and a container of water.
11.  A membership in an Auto service club like AAA or Allstate
12.  A cellular phone

May you have many years of safe driving with no flat tires and without any
need for the above mentioned items!

Sincerely,
David Vanderhoofven