CA on tuning pins

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Tue, 12 May 1998 21:56:22 -0400

Billbrpt wrote:

> In a message dated 5/12/98 10:53:50 AM Central Daylight Time, rscott@wwnet.net
> writes:
>
> << Bill,
>
>    I read a posting of yours in the pianotech archives of a week or
>  so ago regarding tightening tuning pins.  There is an old Henry F.
>  Miller grand at our church that I have been maintaining on a
>  volunteer basis for several years.  About 6 pins in the bass are
>  so loose that they let go at the slightest CCW torque.  The rest
>  are also a little loose, but still serviceable.
>
>    I have been considering CA glue applied wholesale to the base
>  of the pins without removing them.  I was going to use thin CA.
>  Your posting talks about CA applied with the pin removed, any
>  it refers to medium or thick CA.  What do you think I should
>  use?  Medium CA on the 6 very loose pins (removed), or thin
>  CA on the entire bass section without removing the pins?
>
>  Bob Scott
>  Ann Arbor, Michigan
>  Detroit-Windsor Chapter, PTG
>   >>

I have used the thinnest CA glue to tighten pins.  Uprights need to be
on their back.  Use the CA glue like pin dope...just drip it along the
bottom of the tuning pins.

Your are done when no additional glue is absorbed by the block.  Let the
piano sit overnight.  Then tune.  The fist movement of the tuning pin
breaks the glue bond.

Most of the time this method has worked well.  The tuning pins have a
nice feel.  The only time it did not work was on a terrible grand.  The
glue didn't seem to get into the block but ran along to top of the block
and oozed out the back.  Thank God I had covered everything.

I would never use this on a good piano.  And,  I always explain that
this is a last resort.  Most of the time it brings the piano back to
life.  On the pianos I have treated this way, it would not have been
cost effective to repin or rebuild.

CAUTION!!!! This stuff is toxic.  I insist that windows be open and a
fan be placed in the window to generate a breeze in the work area.  If
the customer refuses my request, I don't do the job!

Frank Cahill
Assoc member
N. VA.