Re-crowning soundboards

Sun, 10 May 1998 19:45:53 -0700

Kevin,

I suppose you could warp a soundboard by "steaming the top." But it would require that you
maintain that steamy environment to stay warped. Compression crowned soundboards lose
their crown because the wood fibers gradually deform under steady compression -- i.e.,
compression set -- and in so doing they lose their ability to maintain internal
compression within the soundboard panel. So, yes, you could probably induce additional
compression into the board by forcing really large amounts of moisture into the wood
fibers using steam, but you would then have to figure out some method of keeping that
abnormal amount of moisture in there. It's going to want to dissipate very rapidly. Even
if you could do this -- somehow keep that level of moisture in there -- the compression
gained would soon dissipate, again due to compression set. Especially since the rate of
compression set increases with higher levels of fiber moisture content.

Regards,

Del