tuning stability

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 09 May 1998 14:42:17

Greetings Jim,
              I do this on every new to me grand that I encounter.
Particularly at the bridge points, very lightly with a hammer shank, I also
lightly tap the bridge pins. It's amazing what it does for the stability,
and cleanliness of the treble, (false beat elimination). Due to two
dramatic season changes in this region, the concert hall pianos are done
twice per year.
  It is not unusual to tap a 10 year old instrument and find that the pitch
will drop 50 cents or more in the treble. Probabily due to the fact the
instrument was never prepped in the first place, but also due to the
movement of the board from season to season.
  Just as important as the stability, you will find an improvement in the
consistency of note to note power output. With less false beats voicing is
less of a chore.
  Maybe in your climate it is less important, but give it a try and post
the results.  I think you are missing out if you don't do this.(IMHO)
  Don and I work to-gether quite closely and we both experience the same
results in thius area.
Haave a great weekend
Roger

>B. Tap it down at the hitch pin, double scaling bar, before middle and after
>bridge, lift (on a grand) before and after capo bar or other speaking length
>termination point. (for an upright tap at either side capo bar)

>G. Tap the all the strings as in B. Unfortunately this will destroy the
>tuning!
>H. Tune the piano again.
>>>

>Geez Don;
> I certainly hope not!! (my opinion)  Some of the items (B)(G) you mentioned
>would be appropiate for a newly strung , or a new on the floor, instrument
but
>I would never suggest them for one that had been in service awhile :-)
Should
>I?
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Roger Jolly