tuning instability

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Sat, 9 May 1998 09:30:56 -0400

Leslie,

I restrung a 1922 M about 9 months ago, and it has just attained reasonable
stability (pitch more affected by changes in humidity, than by settling
in).  After the restringing, the piano was tuned very frequently the first
month, half a dozen chip tunings, and maybe a dozen regular tunings. During
the next few months, pitch fell off about 3 cents a week, and tunings were
done once or twice a month.  About two months ago, the piano way tuned
having gone 5 cents flat over two months.  Last week, the piano was tuned,
and it was a little sharp due to increased humidity, but by in large very
close to pitch.

This particular piano did not get a new pinblock, or soundboard.  If these
components were replaced, I would expect that the settling in period would
be significantly longer.  An O I did winter before last, (new soundboard
and pinblock), has just recently become acceptably stable.

Your mileage my vary.

Frank Weston