Charging for services/greed....greed

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Thu, 07 May 1998 16:09:42 -0400

Leslie W Bartlett wrote:

> >heating tech   $85/hour
> >auto tech      $60/hour
> >electrician    $75/hour
> >
> Auto techs, at least, work on a "flat rate" schedule. So that $60
> translates into significantly more per "working hour".  A mechanic can
> often do a six hour job in three hours, and get paid for the six hours.
> Piano techs don't get that option much....
> Leslie Bartlett

> Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Hi, Leslie!

When I quote a job I use a rate book similar to the type used by
mechanics.  Joe Garrett (I think) publishes the book through Randy
Potter.  It lists just about every piano job.  For jobs that I do on a
regular basis, it seems very accurate.

Sometimes I can't do the job in the stated time, sometimes I beat the
time. If I finish early that's great for me.  The customer agreed to the
job and has to pay. If it takes me longer, the customer pays the same
price in most cases. (Yes there are exceptions..we won't go there just
now.)

Everything depends on the demand for your service.  I'm new in this
field and don't carry the reputation of a BTT (big time tuner).  The old
timers here in Maryland/D.C./Virginia charge more for service than I do.
But, they have clients willing to pay extra for their service

It's all semantics really...Unfortunately, tuners for the most part
don't get rich.  I could go back into telecommunications, but I hated
that.  For now, piano work is ok.

Thanks for your comments.

Frank
Assoc