charging for service (sermon - was rant and rave)

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Thu, 07 May 1998 10:08:55 -0500

Dear Bill,

Thanks for the sermon!  I make it my practice to follow the Bible and to
try to please God in everything I do.  Here are some more things to
consider from Deuteronomy where I am reading.

Deuteronomy 15:7-11, 24:14-22  Taking care of the stranger, Fatherless and
Widow

Deuteronomy 25:13-16  Warning not to have unjust weights and measures - In
otherwords, charge fairly to everyone for what you are selling (your time,
knowledge, services) and don't charge some people more than others.

It is hard to keep my fees fair, especially when I am driving up to a
$500,000.00 house to work on a new concert grand piano, and the next piano
I go to is a 47 year old spinet in a little shack.  I must confess that it
is hard not to want to charge more for the first piano, and less for the
second piano, taking into account each persons situation.  But it should be
the same price for the same amount of work.

On the other hand, I am much more likely to sell a regulation job to the
people in the mansion, than I am to the people in the shack.

Lots of good ideas here on the list.  I like the ideas of having the local
PTG chapter take on pianos as a project, or letting the Rotary Club or
Lions Club know if there is a need.

By the way, no one has mentioned the PTG Code of Ethics:
1.  I will act honorably and in a professional manner.
2.  I will render the best possible service under the circumstances, always
keeping the best interests of my client in mind.
3.  I will engage only in fair trade practices....

More food for thought.

Sincerely,
David Vanderhoofven