bridge problem

DGPEAKE DGPEAKE@aol.com
Sun, 3 May 1998 20:20:19 EDT

	I went to tune a Storey and Clark spinet today, finding it about
 150 cents flat. It had thuddy bass strings, and several which had a bad
 buzz- caused by a major split in the bridge.  The split, about five
 inches long, probably  close to an eighth of an inch wide,was  enough
 that I could remove bridge pins with my finger. The strings had moved
 because of this broken bridge, the old lines indicating where the strings
 had been being very clear.  The break is along the line of the top bridge
 pins.
 	I suggested the owner come home from work, look at it, and decide
 if he wanted to spend money to fix it.  I've never done one of these, but
 my suspicion is that one would have to remove strings, clamp and glue the
 bridge, then redrill and replace pins. In the process, replacing the bass
 strings would seem obvious since the labor required wouldn't be that much
 more.
 	Opinions, please.
 	Appreciatively,

 Leslie
 lesbart@juno.com

If you can remove the strings without taking them off the tuning pins, remove
the bridge pins in the area that is split out.  Clean out the loose maple.
You should still have enough of a hole to reinsert the pins.  Mix up some slow
dry plastic steel epoxy (Devcon is what I use), and apply in the groove where
you removed the material. Then reinstall the bridge pins.  You should be able
to feel where the holes are.  In around 4 hours, trim the excess epoxy off the
bridge and around the bridge pins.  Allow 24 hours to cure, then reinstall the
strings.  I usually charge around 4-6 hours.

If the bridge cap is split out, then you may have to recap the bridge.  That
is another can of worms.

Hope this helps.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR