sound board cleaning/rep.

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Sat, 02 May 1998 14:16:53 -0600

At 02:27 PM 4/28/98 PDT, you wrote:
>Dear List,
>
>I would appreciate input regarding cleaning and even possibly
>refinnishing a grand soundboard with the strings allready installed?

Arlan,
	You've received lots of good info, and now it's time for the
....not-so-good:   Gravity. Yup, it's a verb, it's a desert topping, and
for pianos, it's a miracle. DISCLAIMER!!!!! : Soy loco. Mucho. Just ask
anyone.

Now.... clean the board as well as you can. Then do it again.

	remove the lyre

	with help, or a prop, remove the left leg

	lower the left front corner down to a balled-up blanket

	mix up a very thin solution of shellac and alcohol. 50-50 should be
       good for regular 3 lb shellac from a can

	apply to the board with a hypo oiler bottle or other suitable squeeze-
  type container, on the "uphill" side, and let the solution flow down-
  ward to coat the visible parts of the board

	Notes: A small brush with straight alcohol can be used between the wires
or other openings to smooth out runs or drips.

	removing the dampers is not absolutely mandatory, but can make it easier
to address the build-up at the guide rail(s)

	Removing the action is...uh... imperative.

	A small photographers puff-ball or other such device can be used to suck
up overflow.

	When dry, you can use squeegee-type board cleaners with steel wool to buff
slightly. CAUTION: it's not dry yet. Patience.

	Yeah, well, it's not accepted doctrine. They may send out the piano
police. The first guy to try to remove the damper guide rails will curse
your remains, and kick your dog. It's for basket-case/ el cheapo /don't
admit who done it/ situations only. I certainly wouldn't admit to ever
having done it (a few times) to pianos that weren't for sale, or anything,
just cheap (IN-HOUSE!) cosmetic jobs. Two trips, total of 2 1/2 hours, 6
bucks material.

	It's kinda like burning off bridle tapes..... some info just shouldn't be
given to the general public.

Have fun,

Guy
On the other hand, you've got different fingers.