laminated bridge question

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@uoguelph.ca
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 22:58:56 -0400 (EDT)

Ron fired back:
> I believe I stated my reasons in the last post. Why would I care to change?
> I don't insist that you don't use yellow glues because you are too ignorant
> to know, or too heard headed to learn, how to use them properly.

I do know how to use yellow glue properly. And hide glue is easier.  Don't
forget in your original letter, Ron, you asked for suggestions for glue
for laminating bridges...wasn't that an open solicitation for opinions?

> My next suggestion is that you don't assume
> that you are the only guy on the planet who knows anything about hot hide
> glue, and that anyone elses choice to use something else is the result of
> ignorance.

I don't assume I am the only person on the planet who knows anything about
hide glue. There are, however, a lot of people on the planet who don't use
hide glue because of ignorance of how to use it properly...fighting with
it and eventually giving up entirely or only using it for specific tasks
because of the trouble and difficulty. It is one thing to know how to use
hide glue for *any* task, then choose to use something else.

> Interesting, in your last post, you *thought* that's why modern glues were
> developed, and now, that *is* why modern glues were developed.

Silly semantics. And "Viennese piano" is the accepted and correct way to
refer to a piano of a particular style, whether it is made in Vienna or
not, whether modern reproduction or antique. Many antique "Viennese
pianos"  were not made in Vienna; just the same as not all "Viennese
actions" were made in Vienna. And I didn't say plywood is made with
Titebond, I said modern glues.

Stephen

Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
464 Winchester Drive
Waterloo, Ontario
Canada N2T 1K5
tel: 519-885-2228