'Grey Market' Yamahas- again

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 22:57:38 -0400

Part of the problem here is the number of variables in the equation.

1)  Old, Non-USA built Pianos:  This is easy.  No piano made outside the
US, then exported here for the first time, will survive.  Why?  Because
no one in the world comprehends American heating habits.  We have cheap
fuel and would rather sit around in a hot, dry house in our T-shirts
than put on a sweater.  Many manufacturers have learned how to deal with
the problem eventually, but virtually none of them get it right the
first time.

2)  Micro-Climate.  It may be that some of those early pianos came over
on the first boat and actually survived provided they were placed in a
very mild climate - mild winters, people who wore sweaters, etc..  How
many pianos do you tune that sit at A-440 while others are all over the
map every seasonal change?

3)  Manufacturing specs for different parts of the world:  This is not
quite so clear.  We know that the only market in the world that believes
fervently that all pianos must have three pedals is the US.  So they
make a three-pedal piano just for us.  How many other differences are
there in this redesign and manufacturing process?  Well, one example
that comes to mind is Bosendorfer.  If I remember correctly,  The non-US
version does not have action glide bolts since the frame to keybed fit
will stay put.  But if it comes to the US, they get glide bolts.  Now,
how about moisture content of the wood . . . . . .?

4)   Late Model, Heavy Wear.  I know less about these.  The ones I see
are older pianos where the wear factor is not as important as the
obvious and predictable wood seasoning problem.   I described two old
examples.  Jim Harvey described another that is just like several I've
seen.  These problems with pianos with older serial numbers are the
rule, not the exception.  Bring THIS up at your next chapter meeting.
Now, the late model, heavy wear, piano is something Del sees a lot of,
but I have not.  Are we talking about heavy institutional use that is
masked by uncommon care of the case?  Do a significant number get send
to a halfway house for 'reconditioning' before they're sent here.  Are
late model pianos not marketed to the US going to have structural
problems?  I, too, would like to know more about this subset.

One thing I do feel strongly about.  They are not what they seem to the
customer.  Until someone gives me important information to the contrary,
I will recommend against buying them . . . . sight unseen.

Carl