laminated bridge question

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@uoguelph.ca
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 23:30:21 -0400 (EDT)

I don't really see what hide glue and laminated bridges have to do with
historical temperaments?  This isn't a bunch of ultra-conservative dogma
from someone on a "glue crusade", if that was the implication/slur/joke
intended.

OK...in making historical reproductions there is no choice for glue. You
have to use hide glue. Anything else would be unprofessional and
a-historical.  But that has nothing to do with why I don't use other
glues. Hide glue is simply the best product for most woodworking in the
small shop, whether modern or historical. It is simple and effective when
used properly. It doesn't creep. It is easy to clamp.  It is totally
benign. It is cheap.  Hence I still ask why would you want to use anything
else?

I don't buy any of Ron's objections for that bridge job.  Of course, the
bottom line is don't use hide glue if you prefer yellow plastic glue, but
you can't justify that decision by pretending that hide glue is inadequate
for the job. A laminated bridge, even one with ten layers, is kid's stuff
compared to making the laminated framing of a big Viennese piano.  My
suggestion is to learn how to use the product properly, then make a
properly informed decision. Trouble is the nonsense that is endlessly
propagated, like the recent article in FWW...you follow that, it's all
wrong, so you blame the hide glue and get out the yellow stuff. Come to my
class and I'll show you the right way.

We aren't making industrial sheets of plywood here. That is why modern
glues were developed and what they are good for. In fact they are better
for most industrial applications. But hide glue still rules in the small
shop.

Stephen

Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
464 Winchester Drive
Waterloo, Ontario
Canada N2T 1K5
tel: 519-885-2228