Oh no, back to 'piano records'

Sat, 25 Jul 1998 11:01:16 -0700

Don wrote:

> Mr Root,
>
> I disagree entirely. I want *all* the info from previous work--invoices even
> if the client has them. Why re invent the wheel? If another tech has had a
> problem with an instrument I want to *know*. I don't like walking in blind.
> Zero information = blind.

Ah! But isn't this where the information should be recorded? On the invoice. Back
in my field service days I left the customer with a very complete summation of what
I did for his/her piano. It listed the work I did. The specific notes involved, if
appropriate. A brief summation of the condition of the piano (if it was the first
time I'd seen it). Etc.

No way could all of this information be recorded on the piano. If I had questions
about the piano I would ask the owner. If they couldn't remember what the previous
technician did, they could always get out the invoice. Unfortunately, while some
were exceptional, most of those invoices didn't tell me much. But then neither did
the various notes, dates and signatures that I often found sloppily scribbled all
over the piano.

I can only say that any tuner or technician that wrote anything on the
plate/pinblock/keys/action/soundboard/whatever of my piano without my permission
would NEVER be called back. No matter how good the service otherwise.

Sorry. My vote is to put the information on your invoice and encourage your client
to keep those invoices close to the piano. Encourage your client to furnish those
invoices with the piano if/when it is sold. With any luck they will enhance the
value of the piano since they (hopefully) indicate a pattern of good regular
service. I've never seen notes that were scribbled on any surface of the piano
enhance it's value. Except when it's the signature of somebody a whole lot more
famous than you or I. And all that scribbling is a royal pain in the butt to take
off if the potential buyer doesn't like it. And most don't.

Regards,

Del