Hantavirus prophylactic

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 10:51:14 -0500 (CDT)

Unless you have a positive air pressure mask, fed from bottled air, or piped
in from outside, you can't possibly be safe from inhaling the virus. Even
with a filter that's efficient enough to sieve the little nasties out, you
aren't going to get a 100% seal where the mask meets the face. Throw in a
beard, or few thousand wrinkles, furrows, and creases, and you had just as
well forget the mask altogether and break out the vacuum. What the heck, why
not take the whole household with you when you go? Even with super mask, if
you've been in the magic dust, it's on the OUTSIDE of the mask, and your
hair and clothing. You will eventually have to take that mask off and,
unless you carry a chemical disinfectant shower too, you will be exposed.
Consider also, the psychological impact on the customer, of watching what
looks like a CDC SWAT team setting up for a surgical strike on a small pile
of mouse doo-doo. I'm sure they'd be happy to have you back any time,
especially after they get the bill. The best suggestion I've heard so far is
the antiseptic spray. I don't think there's any real concern about raising
dust by spraying because you wouldn't hose the stream right into the middle
of the pile, but rather mist it over the top and let it settle in. This
seems to me like the most efficient and effective method, with a high
survival potential, and minimal trauma to the customer. The piano will just
have to take it's chances with the effects of the spray.

That's my take.

 Ron