glue

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 17:45:29 -0500 (CDT)

>Ah...the old glue thread again...well Graf made all his bridges this way,
>at least the treble curve which was cut through vertically to where the
>bridge was pretty straight. The vertical laminations were re-assembled of
>course with hide glue. Why use anything else (unless you are making 50
>bridges at once)?
>
>Stephen
>
>Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
>Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
>464 Winchester Drive
>Waterloo, Ontario
>Canada N2T 1K5
>tel: 519-885-2228
>email: birketts@wright.aps.uoguelph.ca

Simple, I work alone, and I can't slop hide glue on ten ( or so )
laminations, line the stack up in the jig, and get the cauls clamped
together quickly enough to beat the jell time. I can with Titebond, and I
prefer to work with processes I can handle. That's why. I'll bet Graf relied
on processes he knew he (they?) could make work too, wouldn't you think?

Re: Titebond II, I've decided I prefer regular old Titebond. Tb II
squeeze-out seems to remain perpetually rubbery, which is grounds enough for
concern in my mind. I haven't tried MPA II, so I have no idea how hard it
dries. Tb's squeeze-out gets hard enough to be brittle in 24 hours. That's
good enough for me.

 Ron