Removing Shoes Indoors

Jory A. Olson jory@teleport.com
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 22:26:16 -0700

I've done a bit of a study of the practice of removing ones shoes =
indoors.  I travel to Asia on business frequently and my family is from =
Sweden.  I'll share what I've found in my travels.

The basic purpose behind removing ones shoes is to keep the house clean. =
 In colder areas of the United States, Canada, and Scandinavia it is =
common to have a "mud room" or tiled entryway with a bench to sit on =
while putting on or taking off snowy,  or muddy shoes.  In Sweden, it is =
common to have several pairs of clogs at the door for those quick trips =
outside or for gardening.  If when you walk in the floor is tiled and =
seems warm, then you're mostly likely looking at a mud room, regardless =
of the decoration.  The floors in mud rooms are often electrically =
heated to melt the snow off the boots and to help dry clothing out.

In the third world removing ones shoes is more important for health.  =
Without modern sewage treatment infrastructure the streets become open =
sewers where human waste, leftover food, dirty water, etc are just =
dumped in the streets.  In such an environment it is a matter of =
personal hygiene and health to remove ones shoes at the door and wear =
slippers inside the house.  In this situation your shoes are pretty much =
a biohazard.

In most Asian countries I've visited it is considered very bad manners =
to leave your shoes on.  It's like having bad BO.  I believe that this =
custom originally came from health concerns.  In any case, you will be =
removing your shoes in any Japanese, Chinese or Taiwanese home or hotel =
room.  Bring along your own slippers if you have large feet because the =
slippers provided will not be large enough.  Been there and done that =
too many times.

To outsiders the custom of removing ones shoes does appear to be almost =
religious in nature, but the people I've met say that it is not =
religious.  I personally think it falls somewhere been "common sense" =
and "religious".  I guess it depends if you consider Confuciusm a =
religion or not.

In any case a small pair of lightweight open toed slippers thrown into =
your tool box will probably be met with delight in home that follow the =
shoe removal custom for whatever reason.

Hope this helps.

Jory

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available