In-Piano Records Revisited

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Sun, 5 Jul 1998 11:30:12 +0000

Years ago when I bought my new IBM Wheelwriter
typewriter...state of the art you know...I would have it
serviced by IBM techs who used a little paper service record
that they left in the typewriter.  The next guy was invaribly a
different tech and he would always check the piece paper and add
his scratch.  Thats what pianos need instead of the "graffiti",
a written log in the piano not on piano parts.  It wouldn't
likely get lost if attached inside of the piano.

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA

> Date:          Sun, 05 Jul 1998 07:31:56 -0400
> From:          Carl Root <rootfamily@erols.com>
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject:       Re: In-Piano Records Revisited

> Ron Nossaman wrote:
> >
> > Respectfully disagree. Anything you find in a piano that constitutes service
> > history is potentially helpful.
>
> Good morning, Ron.
>
> I think a lot of technicians mistakenly believe that the piano owner
> will use this information.  If not, why leave the card?  Even with RH
> data, pitch level, and date,  you still don't know how accurately the
> piano was tuned, which is just as likely to be the reason the piano
> needs to be corrected as typical (or atypical?) humidity changes.
>
> I like having records I can refer to.  That's why I bring a printout of
> their recent service history with me.  It's more detailed and more
> portable than anything I could scrawl on the keys.  The few times I've
> seen extensive service history inside the piano, it was too long ago to
> be of any use.  They called me and we're starting over.
>
> Fourteen cards!?  Now there's a puzzler.  The standard joke around here
> is that we use the card stock to shim key slips, grand actions, etc.
> :-)
>

> "Kilroy was here . . . . . "
>

> Carl

David Ilvedson, RPT