In-Piano Records Revisited

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Sun, 05 Jul 1998 07:31:56 -0400

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Respectfully disagree. Anything you find in a piano that constitutes service
> history is potentially helpful.

Good morning, Ron.

I think a lot of technicians mistakenly believe that the piano owner
will use this information.  If not, why leave the card?  Even with RH
data, pitch level, and date,  you still don't know how accurately the
piano was tuned, which is just as likely to be the reason the piano
needs to be corrected as typical (or atypical?) humidity changes.

I like having records I can refer to.  That's why I bring a printout of
their recent service history with me.  It's more detailed and more
portable than anything I could scrawl on the keys.  The few times I've
seen extensive service history inside the piano, it was too long ago to
be of any use.  They called me and we're starting over.

Fourteen cards!?  Now there's a puzzler.  The standard joke around here
is that we use the card stock to shim key slips, grand actions, etc.
:-)

"Kilroy was here . . . . . "

Carl