Chipping

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sun, 05 Jul 1998 08:03:01

At 07:32 AM 7/5/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm almost done with my first restringing and would appreciate some
>input on how to do the initial pitch raise. The method described in
>Reblitz' book to properly load the soundboard calls for using an ETD (or
>some type of chromatic tuner), which I don't have. So I'm looking for an
>aural tuning shceme.
>
>Thanks in advance.

What I do is take thin front rail punchings (the blue and pink ones) and
label all the A's by putting a blue punching around a tuning pin on each
one, and the D's, with a pink punching. Then set the A's from your fork,
set the D's from the A's, and start filling in in between by semitones.
It'll be all over the place. Once you've finished that, and every note has
at least tried to attain a pitch, set the A's and D's again, and start all
over. I usually use an old key tail for a plectrum. Work fast, but of
course also keep an eye on your tuning pin coils and be sure all the
beckets are well pressed into the holes. After two or three times through
the whole scale you should be ready to put the action back in for a rough
tuning.

Any variations on this from anyone?

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651