fires

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Sat, 4 Jul 1998 16:45:16 EDT

List:
  About 100,000 of those acres swept by fire in recent weeks were in the
Jacksonville area, thankfully with little loss of life or developed property.
The current series of fires, just south of us, are much worse in all respects
with much larger loss of developed property and larger fire related death
toll.  To the best of my knowledge no one has yet died from burning but rather
other causes,i.e. stress induced heart attacks,strokes, heat
stroke/prostration etc. have risen dramatically.

  The National Guard 'has' been involved in these fires almost from the
begining as well as agancies of the Federal Government, official delegations
of fire fighters from 41 States, unofficial volunteers by the thousands and
equipment from as far away as California.

    Help is mostly needed from the Rainmaker as only a long downpour is  going
to make a significant difference in these fires.  Florida is undergoing some
of the hottest, driest weather in recent times and these fires are a
reflection of that fact.
A "nice" little tropical storm with attendant walls of rain would be a
blessing.

  If you are one who has lost a home or business to the fires it is not much
solace if someone told you that 'most' of what has been burning is woodlands
and not developed areas, yet that is the case so far...........Thank Goodness.

  Mother Nature is, doing what she does best, readying large areas for new and
renewed plant growth.  EPA rules and Environmental Activists' concerns have
for years slowed almost to a complete halt the controlled burn of these forest
lands. Now Mother Nature has decided enough is enough, unfortunately developed
areas are paying the price now, high "particulate pollutant counts" or not.

 So what the rest of the country can do is remember those directly affected by
the fires in your prayers and please send all your excess rain this way.

Jim Bryant (FL)
"if I wanted to be this Hot and this Dry I'd live in Phoenix" :-)
Ocala Firefighter