breaking strings

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Fri, 03 Jul 1998 21:58:01 -0400

Dick, you have just hit one of my buttons.

Silicone IS a no-no around a piano.  Silicone is not a lubricant but a
strain reliever.  It has a nasty habit of traveling all over the place,
like dropping a barrel of BBs from the roof of a warehouse.  They will
go everywhere.

If there is an interaction between to object, like tuning pins and pin
block, like keytops and key stick, silicone will get in between and
relieve the strain.

When it gets under the finish it is a devil to refinish.  When it gets
into the pib block it will have to be replaced.

There are places for silicone, but I cannot think of any, especailly
around a piano.

                        Newton