breaking strings

Brian L. Daley tunerselbow@earthlink.net
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 21:10:45 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: RptBob1@aol.com <RptBob1@aol.com>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Friday, July 03, 1998 6:19 PM
Subject: Re: breaking strings

><< quid wrench I sometimes use a non petrolium
> spray such as silicone & apply this to the V bar. I have noticed less
> string breakage while doing pitch raises. If this is a no no and might do
> damage  please inform me. Thanks.
> Dick >>
>Never- ever use silicone anywhere within 30 feet of a piano.  The stuff
creeps
>and crawls into every conceivable location that it should never see..  It
>first seeks the pinblock and then goes on a hunt for other victims.  It
might
>even get YOU and make you slippery and slidy forever and ever.  Beware and
>desist!
>
>Try using Protek for the application you desire.

Yes, Protek is the best. But are you sure that it won't creep on piano wire?
Have you tried it?  It's not supposed to travel, and doesn't on wood unless
used in exess.  I've  used it on my drill press with good results, but it
did seem to creep a little more on metal.  ? And BTW what is it about protek
that's supposed to keeps it from traveling?