Action mounted to rubber?

BSimon1234@aol.com BSimon1234@aol.com
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 18:03:11 EDT

<<I suspect a manufacturing defect, >>
<<There are two reasons the screw broke, discounting a faulty screw>>

Just my two cents;

Don't discount the faulty screw. Given that the way Wurlitzer mounted the
action was rather dumb, but cheaper, - it depended on the long screw to
actually flex like a spring when working properly. -- Then I understand, (have
heard) that they got a ton of bad screws that were harder steel, more brittle,
and just were not up to being flexed more than a few times.  So, the screw was
probably faulty.

The Wurlitzer company, when asked, used to send out 4 new screws and an
extractor device on a handle for getting the proken part of the screw out,
free of charge. I still have mine.

The rubber thing is a new one to me. Perhaps it was a repair by some
technician.

As for getting the screw out, you might try something I always thought should
work. Take a hollow, thin steel tube, with an inside diameter larger than the
screw diameter, and file directional teeth on the end. Chuck it in a drill and
drill out the column of wood that contains the screw, or at least weaken the
wood's holding ability for an inch or so until a needle nosed pliers can grip
the screw and reverse it out. ( this might take a lot of passes to clean out
the teeth, as there is no fluting to eject chips. Then plug the hole, and
redrill for a new screw.

I have used this technique for other things, or repairs, but never this
application.  You are kind of making a long hole saw without a pilot drill.
You might even check with a machine tool dealer and see if something like this
already exists.

Bill Simon
Phoenix