removing lids on performance pianos

R. Goodale rob.goodale@nau.edu
Wed, 01 Jul 1998 11:19:30 -0600

Howdy...

Here at the university we have two primary concert pianos- a new
Steinway D, and a Baldwin SD-10, about ten years old.

For some reason there has become an increasing popularity here regarding
removing the lids of the grands entirely for performances. It started
with a few performances with two grands nested together, (not uncommon
for the front piano in such situations). But then a few performers
wanted to try removing it for solo performances. Even the orchestra
decided to give it a go recently. It would appear that once people found
out that the lid was removable everyone now wants to try it. I fear the
trend may have become permenant in spite of my protests.

I am concerned about repeated lid removal, as this has caused stress on
the hinges, lost hinge/bent pins, scratches on the lid, etc. If this is
going to become a popular practice, what solutions might there be to
make removal faster with less structural stress? Has anyone delt with
this problem before?

I thought about drilling out the hinge holes a bit oversized and
inserting a costom pin- perhaps a pin with a hole drilled through the
end with a removable cottor pin. Maybe even a small cable attached so
that the pins don't become lost. Any thoughts?

Rob Goodale, RPT
Northern Arizona University