historical vs. equal temperament

Douglas Hershberger dbhersh@home.com
Wed, 01 Jul 1998 09:06:29 -0700

Bill and list,
   I believe the concert tuners for Steinway in the basement in NY use
ET for the best pianists in the world. In some of the greatest concert
venues in the world.Does this mean that because they are playing in ET
pianists such as the late Horowitz played with "diminished sensitivity"?
Or that the worlds greatest pianists who went to the worlds greatest
music conservatories are uninformed about what "keyboard tonality is and
how to work with it"? Bill, are your views about HT the same when it is
a concert situation?
Doug Hershberger,RPT