Pedals ?

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 14:39:39 EST

List;
 I am reading the book written by Arthur Loesser entitled; "Men, Women and
Pianos".  In the book Arthur makes mention of a piano Erard built for "Consul
Bonaparte";   the passage reads:
" .............it also had the row of condimentary pedals customary in Vienna
instruments, five of them-an unacorda soft pedal, an ordinary sustaining
pedal, a "basson", a "celeste" pianissimo made by a cloth damper, and a
"Janizary music" (that is to say, drums and triangle).

  Question:  What specifically is a Janizary ? How does/did it work ?

Comment: Interesting book, well written and shows that they debated some of
the same subjects, begining with the time that pianos came into vouge, early
to mid 1700's (France), that we are discussing still today.
Jim Bryant (FL)