the two threads converge

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 22:13:29 -0800 (PST)

Hello, List!

Now this is getting to be fun.

"digitals"
Stephen:> but a big research effort
>would be needed to finally learn how the piano works in these
>interactions, so "all" of the response can be modelled.

To finally learn how the piano works ... so we can find out how to design it
to get each of these interactions to work better. ("a different piano design.")

So digital research might extend rather than shorten the lifespan of the
traditional piano.

Susan-the-optimist
At 12:35 AM 2/16/98 -0500, Stephen and Danny wrote:
>Danny wrote:
>> We all know that each string excites harmonics in other un-damped
strings.  The
>> timbre of a single note will be much different when it is played with and
without
>> the sustain pedal.  Will physical modeling actually address this?  How much
>> computing power will be required to model the string - bridge - soundboard
>> relationship?  How far do we need to go in emulating a piano?
>>
>Check out my research proposal from a couple of years ago...modelling is
>just about capable now of doing these things, but a big research effort
>would be needed to finally learn how the piano works in these
>interactions, so "all" of the response can be modelled. It may turn out
>to be intractable right now, but we won't know until we try.
>
>Stephen
>
>Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
>Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
>464 Winchester Drive
>Waterloo, Ontario
>Canada N2T 1K5
>tel: 519-885-2228
>email: birketts@wright.aps.uoguelph.ca

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"Should I hurry to catch up with happiness, or is happiness behind me hoping
I'll slow down?"
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant