a different piano design...

Mike Swendsen mike.swendsen@shaw.wave.ca
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 23:12:33 -0700

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
    To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
    Date: Sunday, February 15, 1998 3:42 PM
    Subject: Re: a different piano design...
   =20
    Mike,=20

    There are several materials available today that would probably make =
good piano soundboards. Take a look at the patent files. I've worked =
with only a couple of them, and those only enough to probably be =
dangerous. That is to say, I'm not ready to give up on Sitka spruce =
quite yet.=20

    There are a number of problems facing the brave soul who first tries =
to market a piano with a composite -- or whatever -- soundboard. Most of =
those problems will have to do with convincing the technical community =
that they will really work. No matter that this board may appear in the =
best sounding piano the world has ever seen.=20

    Del=20
     =20

    I remember, a number of years ago talking to Klaus Fenner.  He =
mentioned that he had had some of Samick's laminated soundboard  =
material sent to one of the German manufacturers that he buys pianos =
from.  The factory manager didn't know about the soundboards, but he had =
some of the technicians in the factory install them into pianos, then he =
took the manager into the plant and told him that he wanted to select =
the best sounding instruments that they had produced.  All of them had =
the laminated soundboards  in them.  When he pointed this out to the =
manager, he was told that they wouldn't change even if they were better, =
because if the other manufacturers found out that they were using =
laminated boards, they would start saying that he had to do that to save =
money and he was obviously going out of business.

    Go Figure

    Mike