a different piano design...

Mike Swendsen mike.swendsen@shaw.wave.ca
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 10:58:26 -0700

Del:
About 7 or 8 years ago I played a wonderful guitar that had a carbon =
graphite top.  The tone was powerful and warm.  Really a delight to =
listen to and to play.   I often thought since then that it would =
probably be quite possible to build soundboard including bridges and =
ribs out of carbon graphite/boron graphite etc..  ( some new composite =
material)  Everything could be built-up or cast as necessary or as =
designed, I'm sure there a re fewer construction restrictions with the =
new materials than with spruce.  And it would be absolutely =
water/humidity resistant. ( No seasonal tuning changes due to humidity =
changes)
If it could be made to sound as good as that guitar sounded, who knows?
    C. Mike Swendsen  RPT