Verdigris

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 11:51:47 -0600

Hi all,

I am wondering if the amount of *heat* generated by friction in the flange
may also be the cause of more verdigris in the hammer flange. The speed of
any chemical reaction doubles with an upwards change of ten degrees celsius.
The hammer flange has a much greater *arc* of travel than any of the other
flanges and has also to deal with the shockwave running from the hammer back
to the flange as it impacts the string. It seems logical that most of this
*energy* would be dissipated as *heat*! Therefore we ought to expect *more*
green slime on these flanges.

At 05:51 AM 2/15/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Part of Richard Moody's post:
>>Hmm that makes the parafin culprit less in whippen flanges, and even
>>less in Jack flanges.
>>So did Steinway use parafin only in hammer flanges...
>
>Richard, List,
>
>I don't know the reasons for verdigris in older Steinway action centers.  I
>only know what others have said they are.  My primary interest is in
>relieving the problem when I am called out to service such pianos.  So far,
>I have met with a great deal of success in the particular experiences with
>which I have been given the latitude to experiment.
>
>Keith A. McGavern
>kam544@ionet.net
>Registered Piano Technician
>Oklahoma Chapter 731