Right Church, Wrong Pew

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 00:18:10 -0800

Eugenia Carter wrote:

> List,
>
> I just realized I really goofed. Please accept my sincere apologies. I meant
> to send that post privately, not to the list. I apologize for not paying
> closer attention to that "send" button.
>
> Gina Carter, Charlotte NC

Apologies accepted.

Not to single you out, Gina, since I and so many others have made the
same mistake also, but I'd like to suggest to the list a safeguard for
missent messages, at the risk of making a glaring statement of the
obvious:

I use, in Netscape, the *Deferred Delivery* option which deposits the
message in an *Outbox*. Other messages can then be composed and
deposited and before sending anything, I make it a point to check the
address of each message in the outbox. It's hard to know what will make
it work for you with your particular e-mailer, etc., but there needs to
be some way for the computer to ask "Are you sure you want to send this
to _that_ address?" when you push Send.

This relates to the idea of many months ago about putting potentially
inflammatory posts in some kind of message purgatory for a period of
time to cool. Since many of my posts fall into that category (written
for my own catharsis), I can delete them at the last minute and spare
the galaxy my grumblings. More is accomplished in the writing, in this
case, than in the sending.

Tom

--
Thomas A. Cole RPT