Vertigris

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 00:11:43 -0600

----------
> From: Ron Nossaman <nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re:  Vertigris
> Date: Friday, February 13, 1998 9:22 PM
> >I still have to lean heavily on parrafin/mineral spirits/organic
> >compounds as being the villian in the case of verdigris but I also
think that
> >the electropositive origins of 'sulfide' as opposed to the
chemical origins of
> >'sulfate' play the larger role in verdigris formation.
> >Jim Bryant (FL)
> >

> Gotta go with you on this one Jim. . The original tallow probably
contained some regular old NaCl

>  Ron Nossaman

SALT!!  now why hasn't that been mentioned before.  Salt on copper
causes a green formation. Copper Chloride  if there is such a thing.
I forgot most of HS chemistry.

But I think Jim Coleman's suggestion deserves merit, that "Parafin"
used in the bushings caused the verdigris. And this was peculiar to
one brand, as Jim says.  I heard this long ago from another  "music
industry old pro".   But exactly what that parafin is/was I would
like to know.  Not the same as in candles? Does it have salt in it???

But what I want to know how come it is always the hammer flanges in
this "one" brand of piano?  Why not the whippen or jack flanges?
Don't remember seeing it on the BL flanges either.

It thought it might have something to do with the brass rail and the
felt cloth.  Actually that felt cloth felt sort of like  something
like candle wax was rubbed on it.  Was it an execption, or am I
allowing imagination to run free? Since others have been speculating
on the brass thing also.

Ron also mentioned "I wonder too if the residual
lanolin in the bushing cloth didn't aid and abet the verdigris
formation."

Well lanolin is present in all wool, especially freshly shorn. Anyone
is invited by to help when we shear.  You can be the bag tamper.  You
will come out with your shoes very oily from the lanolin.  If lanolin
were the cause of vertigris, ALL centers would exhibit vertigris, not
just the ones from the one brand.

Richard The Butch Wax Kid  NOT