MAKE $$$ and FAME do NOT delete this is REAL

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 00:17:03 -0600

So the "digital" vs "acoustic" has found its way from RMMP to
Pianotech.
___ ___ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _
Read this 20 years from now.

	The acoustic piano is as good as it ever was, indeed many
authorities say better,  and enjoys the popularity it always had.
The digital keyboard is doing things now no one dreamed of 20 years
ago.  The virtuosos of each are enjoying unprecedented demand and
acclaim.
 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ -

So much for the fame, what about the fortune?

The next revolution in digitals will be the keyboard.  Take a Renner
action, a Yahama grand action, or better perhaps the Yamaha CP 80
action, and have the hammers trigger the sounds.  Who ever does this
will make a FORTUNE.
	The action of digitals is LACKING. This adaptation will leap frog it
ahead of  its almost impressive sounds.

Now for the sounds.  Consider recorded piano music you listen to
today.  Its ALL on CD's.  That sound is ALL DIGITAL.
Who ever can make the digital keyboard playback piano sounds like you
hear on CDs will reap a MEGA FORTUNE.

And speaking of sounds, no one today really plays a digital keyboard
for the piano sound for long.  The electric piano sound yes.  The
flavors of clavi/harpsichord sounds yes. Electric/ Hammond organ YES.
 Bass sounds YES.  Orchestra sounds... the lush strings are
incredible.  From one violin to 10,,  from one cello to 5.  Brass,
well....  Flute, haven't heard one yet. But better in the reeds like
Saxaphone oboe and basoon.  Ever heard a Wersi?   Their Sax is
remarkable. Also their piano sound is one I can't wait to compare
with Kurtzweil.
And then there are the built in sequencers.  Probably required
materials for tomorrow's music majors in Theory 101 on up.  And if
that weren't enough, consider the universe of MIDI.  Any one reading
this message on a CRT will realize their computer can access a
digital keyboard and vice versa. And what is on the Internet that can
be downloaded.....

But that ain't the same as playing a piano.  Will people always want
to play the acoustic piano?  Yeppers, just read this 20 years from
now.  Will people want to play the acoustic piano even with the
almost perfect piano reproduction sound we will be hearing X years
from now in digitals?   Well, we  play what our  our budgets can
afford.

	What does that mean in market realities?   The worst pianos will no
no longer be made.  The best "acoustic" pianos will ALWAYS be in
demand. The same goes for digitals. And the same for piano tuners.
So tuners not to worry, keyboard buyers will continue to buy acoustic
pianos along with digital keyboards.

	Final word, ever tuned a piano from 1908?  Do you  expect your great
grand children to have your digital in 2088?  And what will have
become of that 1908 piano in 2088? Will digitals ever need a $10,000,
$5,000, or even $500 rebuilding project??

Richard Moody