Tricky keyslip and re-blacking sharps

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 13:51:25 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Jerry Hunt wrote:
> 1) I can't seem to get the keyslip off. Removed screws from underneath
> keybed (like most other keyslips), but it won't budget. The keyslip is
> hollow, appears to be two piece - the front and top are one piece, the
> back (i.e. key-side) is a separate piece and is attached to cheeck
> blocks. All suggestions (other than hammer and chisle...) appreciated.
>
> 2) Would also appreciate suggestions for low-cost but respectable
> approach to re-blacking sharps (they're wooden).

The keyslip originally was hinged so that it could be folded down, out of
the way and permit access to the various player control levers. Look for
a rubber button at either end of the keyslip opposite the cheek blocks.
After the player action has been permanently removed, it is common prac-
tice to fasten the once-movable keyslip permanently in place by running
a countersunk screw into each cheek block and then covering up the hole
with a rubber button.

As for reblacking the sharps, since you have to remove them anyway, you
may find it easier, and more cost and time expedient, to merely chisel
them off the key sticks ( they'll usually pop off with one well-placed
blow) and glue on inexpensive plastic replacements.

Good luck!

Les Smith