Performer Archive: Prague Chamber Orchestra, Valentina Lisitsa

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Mon, 09 Feb 1998 10:37:47 -0600

[Performer]     Prague Chamber Orchestra
                  Valentina Lisitsa - pianist
[Concert Date]  February 8, 1998  3:00 pm
[Location]      Taylor Performing Arts Center on the campus of MSSC,
Joplin, MO
[Piano]         Steinway D
[Serial #]      516553
[Tuning Used]   Equal Temperament - A-442
[Program]
Sinfonia in E-flat major for Double Orchestra, Op. 18, No. 1 - Johann
Christian Bach

Piano Concerto No. 1 in G minor, Op.25 - Felix Mendelssohn
Valentina Lisitsa, soloist

                       Intermission

Italian Seranade in G major (1887)  - Hugo Wolf

Symphony No. 1 in C major, Op. 21 - Ludwig van Beethoven

[Body]   The Joplin Community Concert Association sponsored this concert.
See their brand new web page at www.concerts.joplin.com.  All of the
musicians were excellent, and they have the distinction of being able to
play together without a conductor.

Ms. Lisitsa is widely known as a duo-pianist along with her husband, Alexei
Kuznetsoff.  Ms. Lisitsa is only 27, and so undoubtably she will be playing
to appreciative audiences for a very long time to come.  She has beautiful
long blonde hair that almost reaches her waist.  She has a lot of energy,
and looked like she was having fun, bouncing up and down on the bench as
she played.

The Mendelssohn Piano Concerto has a very fast first movement, with a lot
of racing scales and double octaves.  She has a lot of power, and can
really produce a lot of "Thunder"!  The second movement is much slower and
quieter, and I was hoping that the tuning held up through the first
movement!  The third movement again is very fast.  I believe at times, that
the orchestra had a bit of trouble keeping up with her!   Following the
concerto, Ms. Lisitsa came out to a lot of applause and played an encore.
I am sad to say that my musical knowledge is lacking, as I can only tell
you that I recognized the music from a Bugs Bunny cartoon!  Again, she
played extremely fast!

If you have a chance to hear Valencia Lisitsa in concert, make plans to
attend.  You will be very pleased.  And if you have a chance to tune for
one of her concerts, she will test your tuning blows!  Tune as hard as you
can, and she may still knock it out of tune!  If there was any more piano
music in following the intermission, I am afraid to think of what the
tuning may have sounded like!  Oh, and bring lots of cash to buy her CD's,
as they don't accept checks or credit cards.

David A. Vanderhoofven, RPT
Joplin, Missouri, USA
e-mail:  dkvander@clandjop.com

web page:  http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/