As Bill states some peoples ET is more equal than others.

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 09:10:56 EST

Greetings,
  (seems like James and I are the only ones out this morning, for a
chat.....(:)}})
Also I'll say that Wim Blees gave a really good, one-man seminar to the
Nashville PTG yesterday,  delivering a good shot of fresh business and
techical perspective to the techs here.
Ok,  So James writes:
<<I submit that people who are tuning an HT have the same problem.  Your

intentions are to make it a "perfect HT" and yet with being human it comes

out to be that persons version of HT.  Right-Wrong?>>

      Wrong on one count, and debatable, (that's why we are here) on another.

   First,  "people who are tuning an HT have the same problem".   James, you
are lumping all proponents of HT together, and there are HT advocates out
there I don't want to be associated with.  That said, I can only speak for
myself, and be willing to be judged on what I do.
    There is no perfect anything, at least, not here on this planet.  But,
perfection in any sense, of temperament will by necessity deal with smaller
increments   than exist between two different tuning systems.  Attacking any
temperament practise for its inabitiy to be "perfect"  is dodging the question
of the validity of that practise.  All temperaments are era specific.

    We can plot the demise of the "Grand American Piano Industry" as an event
that began after the practise of modern ET was established.  Did ET contribute
to the population's loss of interest?  Has the music composed between 1900 and
now finally begun to bring people back to the piano, what with ET haveing a
century to influence?  Did we almost lose the instrument because the use of
modern tuning on 17th, 18th, and 19th century music was subliminally
disgusting?  Or was it a depression, war, and the need to build a country?   I
don't know, but I sure wish some young PHd candidate somewhere would undertake
the study.

Regards,
Ed Foote
(Hey!  Maybe ET  caused those wars,  Plato was talking about tuning doing this
sort of thing many centuries ago.........