..damper seating..

Mike Masters agraffes@worldnet.att.net
Sat, 07 Feb 1998 18:25:30 +0000

Keith McGavern wrote:

> The newer models, yes; for older models, no.  For the newer models I've
> usually found it's just a matter of starting with the bolt that goes in the
> easiest.  Get that one started, and it facilitates the next bolt, and so
> on.  If one tries to start with the bolt that goes in the hardest, well, it
> can produce momentary fits of frustation.  :-)
>
> And Jim Coleman's suggestion of applying downward force is sometimes
> necessary in the most stubborn of situations.  An easy thing to do with a
> Phillips screwdriver blade, or whatever.
>
> But your suggested method seems to be a very worthy approach also, though
> requiring some additional work.
>
> Keith A. McGavern
> kam544@ionet.net
> Registered Piano Technician
> Oklahoma Chapter 731
> Piano Technicians Guild
> USA

	I have had problems even getting the easiest bolt to go in first. This
is when something needs to be done. I don't know how many times I have
fought for a half hour (or more) trying to install 4 stinking screws. I
would much, MUCH rather spend time repositioning the action bracket
bolts and a little touch up regulation, than spend that time getting all
worked up and being quite frank, pissed off. I'm sure that I have been
seen more than once cursing a piano because the action will not go back
in. Very uncomfortable for me, the customer, (and the piano, when I
carry a sledge hammer in my truck, and the thought has crossed my mind).
It has just bben the best and easiest solution for me.
	As for those pianos with the U-shaped brackets, I had not thought of
bending the bolts up. Actually I have, I,ve seen pianos with the bolts
bent up, and when I tried I just couldn't get them to budge. I was just
under the impression that I was either a feather weight or they weren't
supposed to be moved. I guess I'll start working with the weights in the
basement.

Mike Masters
Masters Piano Service
Lakewood, OH